Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving back home for a 2 hour drive from my home town something happened to my Q3. I was driving with my wife and baby and suddenly this huge chunk of tire from an 18-wheeler comes flying towards me... with cars all around me, I tried my best not to stop/break too quickly or make any sudden maneuvers as I had very small room and my speed was just below the speed limit (75mph). Luckily I was able to go over the big piece of tire just about in the middle of my tires, I did go over it just a tad with my rear passenger side tire. I kept driving until I was able to stop and check for any damage and both of my fog lamp grills went missing... sucks!

Now I need to do some shopping.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh, no. Sorry guy. These shredded tires are a huge problem, whether they have just come off or laying on the road. Good that you were able to control the car!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ooh Bummer....!!! Sorry about your mishap.

On the upside though at least you and yours are safe, that's what really counts!

I hope it all works out for you...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thumbs up to you for not making sudden maneuvers in that situation. I'm glad that tire didn't cause any more damage than just fog lamp grills.

·
Registered
914 Posts
**** sorry to hear that happened but at least you guys got out alright, could have clearly been much much worse than that.

I bet now you'll be much more aware and alert when around trucks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Terrible! I just threw up a little when I saw the picture. Hoping you can get it repaired quickly!!

All the best, John

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Wow - sorry man, but it coulda been much worse - you might check on your insurance and decide to pay for it yourself than to have an "incident" credited to your record. Regardless the so-called accident forgiveness provisions, this IS an incident if you claim it...

Reactions: ehechter

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad to hear that there were no injuries. I know this may be a bit late but you may want to install a dash cam in case anything happens in the future. The license plate of the offending vehicle goes a long way in insurance claims. I never leave home without it on.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Glad to hear that there were no injuries. I know this may be a bit late but you may want to install a dash cam in case anything happens in the future. The license plate of the offending vehicle goes a long way in insurance claims. I never leave home without it on.
This is becoming SO common I am beginning to wonder which car maker will offer the option built-in first ... Audi already has a few models with front mounted cameras for either parking or high-beam or lane assists, so to add the functionality to record while driving STRICTLY for the operator's record or convenience cannot be too far away. Just add MMI adjustment functions and record to an SD card (that is usually already mounted anyway) - c'mon Audi !!

Then again, with the advent of insurance companies ALREADY probing the benefits AND limits of OBDII monitoring for their benefits (and our so-called discounts for 'safe' driving) THAT might not be so far away either ... of course THEIR idea of 'safe' driving often flies directly in the face of our driving enjoyment (e.g. a little spirited driving) but hey IT IS coming folks. I won't be surprised to learn that this will be FORCED upon us in my driving lifetime - and I'm already old. That will be when I just sit back behind the steering wheel watching it twirl about on its own and dream of TODAY's driving enjoyment - NO R8s, NO RSs, NO Ss, blah, blah, woof, woof, cry, cry ...

·
Registered
914 Posts
What's going to be funny is the industry might come to a point that it makes this standard to have, standard so much to a point that some folks might even revolt, not wanting systems like that which monitor them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It will probably be offered as an additional option first and depending on the cost of an in factory installation people may still go for the dash cams we have today. I don't really see it as a standard in cars unless you're in the self driving Google car but that's a long way off from being mass produced.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
It's definitely a double-edged sword. At least with an after market camera you know that the information is contained to that device. If it is hooked up to the car's computer, you can never be 100% sure what exactly is going on.

I'm conflicted about it.

Also, read this today which kinda fits into the conversation.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/08/in-car-technology-often-goes-to-waste-study.html
I understand but I still want it! I love that my Q3 has the Parallel Parking assistance as part of the Parking Assist even if I will rarely use it. One item mentioned in the article I do wish I had on the Q3 is the voice texting. i have it in my Odyssey and use it a surprising amount. I really like it!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I understand but I still want it! I love that my Q3 has the Parallel Parking assistance as part of the Parking Assist even if I will rarely use it. One item mentioned in the article I do wish I had on the Q3 is the voice texting. i have it in my Odyssey and use it a surprising amount. I really like it!
I was actually surprised that Lexus of all companies came out with it first before the german brands, glad to see the Q3 has it!

Have you tried out any other similar systems from other car makers?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was actually surprised that Lexus of all companies came out with it first before the german brands, glad to see the Q3 has it!

Have you tried out any other similar systems from other car makers?
I have not used one like this before. I am excited to go try it. It would be cool to have the system where it can parallel park itself!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've tried the self parallel parking on a A8L, it's pretty accurate and somewhat scary for a first timer... pretty neat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One item mentioned in the article I do wish I had on the Q3 is the voice texting. i have it in my Odyssey and use it a surprising amount. I really like it!
John, you can voice text on the Q3 if you have an iPhone that’s paired to the MMI via Bluetooth. The trick is to use the “Hey Siri” function (Settings > General > Siri > Allow “Hey Siri”). Then when you say “Hey Siri,” Siri will respond to you over Bluetooth and you can begin to voice text -- and lots more. Your iPhone needs to be close enough to hear you and it must also be USB powered.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thank you. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy which I don't believe is compatible. Audi seems mostly Apple focused at this point. It would be nice, I do enjoying having my text read to me while driving my Odyssey.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy which I don't believe is compatible. Audi seems mostly Apple focused at this point. It would be nice, I do enjoying having my text read to me while driving my Odyssey.
That same set of actions described by the other user may be possible with the "ok Google" or "hi galaxy" commands. I will test today when I have a chance, I use Google now and "ok Google" commands with my S6 edge not S talk, I'll report back my findings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts