Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there has been some discussion regarding the Edit feature in this forum and the apparent lack of using it’s Search function.

I had a problem with the Edit function a week ago. I posted a reply and for some unknown reason several hours later I realized that I had used the wrong word. So I went to my reply and was unable to edit it, so I posted the correction as the very next post. No one had posted between my posts and I had not Logged Out so I really don’t know why my Edit Option had disappeared. On the other hand I have been able to use Edit if I do it almost immediately after posting.
So I have no answers.

The apparent lack of using the Search function is probably largely due to ease of gratification. But it may also be the result of the layout of this forum. I am a devout searcher probably due to the fact that I have been a computer guy since 1963. This forum is tough to search due to the fact that sometimes the answer that you are looking for is contained in a completely unrelated Section or Subsection. With most Forums that I frequent, the words “Search this Forum” show up somewhere to the upper right above Section or Subsection and work on everything. With this Forum you actually have to select a Section for the magic words “Search this Forum” to appear which is a bit of a chore. So yesterday I decided to delve more deeply into this problem. I started by causing the usually annoying array that comes out of the right side of the screen to appear and low and behold there was my favorite word “SEARCH” with options for VB or Google. So naturally I tried Google first, not so great. Then I tried VB and there it was, exactly what I was looking for. Now that I am looking at an area of the screen that I rarely even glance at, I notice an icon that looks like a Magnifying Glass. I wonder what that does? Holy Crap! It also does exactly what I want but without the extra steps. Now I feel like a complete idiot. All this time I have been struggling in an attempt to not ask previously answered questions and there it is, an icon not a word. I have got to get with it. Icons are better than words, icons are better than words. I deal with icons when ever I use my tablets but I prefer using my Windows desktop with a 27” monitor and comfy chair. In my defense the upper right is a long way off and I’m essentially blind in my right eye.
So I have an answer. Would it kill you to put the word Search next to the magnifying glass icon.
I just hope I don’t have to get in touch with the AARP or the ADA over this issue. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'm NOT the VB editor so we'll see if an Admin looks at this and responds - I'll send them a link to this post to ensure their attention though -

btw, I DON'T have the magnifying glass icon at all ... at least not in my Windows/Firefox view - I DO have TWO search boxes, each with a big SEARCH button next to the field though, and the VB option is already at the ready ...

·
Registered
916 Posts
One of my issues with the search is you need to use 4 characters or more. If you wanted to search for 'ABS'.... good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Roger!

You do point out one of the problems developers run into, the availability of multiple browers. I use Chrome on our desktops, laptops and tablets because it makes coordination so easy.

BTW: Edit is no longer available to me on my original post in this thread or any other post that I have made.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW: Edit is no longer available to me on my original post in this thread or any other post that I have made.
A few minutes ago I noticed that I had lost my ability to Edit my post of 4:44 PM.
I'm just a computer guy trying to help narrow down a problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few minutes ago I noticed that I had lost my ability to Edit my post of 4:44 PM.
I'm just a computer guy trying to help narrow down a problem.
At 6:36 I had lost the ability to Edit my 5:36 post. And this time only one other post had been made to the forum in the interim.

This is sort of like doing the job that I was paid to do before I retired. Ironically that was exactly 9 years ago today. No, I do not miss it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At 6:36 I had lost the ability to Edit my 5:36 post. And this time only one other post had been made to the forum in the interim.

This is sort of like doing the job that I was paid to do before I retired. Ironically that was exactly 9 years ago today. No, I do not miss it.
At 7:26 I had lost the ability to Edit my 6:46 post. And this time no posts had made to the forum in the interim.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Admins?? Any help would sure be appreciated - thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
good thing people are speaking up about the edit button. the four letter search is going to make it hard to find things as well.

hope they fix this issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One of my issues with the search is you need to use 4 characters or more. If you wanted to search for 'ABS'.... good luck!
Well, you were so close by using single quotes around ABS... use double quotes instead and include a blank either side of ABS like " ABS " and you will get what you wanted! "ABS " (trailing blank only) works too. Even works without the quotes I find.

Hope this helps... at least in Chrome on a Mac.

Safari on the Mac shows a totally different Search capability, so please mention what browser and platform you use when posting. Safari shows a Google search box and a button "Search", while Chrome shows a magnifying glass icon button which expands out to Forums and Advanced, Google and Personal searches.

Looks like the forum is built on "VBulletin" software, user guide for building is at http://www.vbulletin.com/en/manual/ but there is no "User" guide as each forum can be customized to a great extent.

·
Registered
301 Posts
..snip. So I went to my reply and was unable to edit it, so I posted the correction as the very next post. No one had posted between my posts and I had not Logged Out so I really don’t know why my Edit Option had disappeared. On the other hand I have been able to use Edit if I do it almost immediately after posting.
So I have no answers.
..snip..
Locking out editing after a short time period (in our case 35 minutes) is essential to making threads readable. If you were able to change for a long time period, or forever, your changes might render the following discussion confusing. There is enough time for you to read it again and correct the typos but not enough time to change your mind.

I think.

PS: Computer guy since '68

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Locking out editing after a short time period (in our case 35 minutes) is essential to making threads readable. If you were able to change for a long time period, or forever, your changes might render the following discussion confusing. There is enough time for you to read it again and correct the typos but not enough time to change your mind.

I think.

Thanks, I appreciate the all the information!

At least we have some time to change it. Send is forever.

1968, so you’re just a youngin’. You probably never had the joy of writing in SPS or Autocoder and having your programs run on an IBM 1401. The rip-snorting IBM 360 was available when you started. Things were so easy back then, the computers generally only ran day shift and never on weekends. No Sunday 2 AM emergency calls. It was great. But I still don’t miss it.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
yup - we are a VB or VBulletin forum ...

·
Registered
135 Posts

I think.

thanks for the info.
I would have to disagree with you the confusing part.
firstly the majority of the internet forums that are popular do have the editing function. I have never...ever... heard of this being confusing at all.

as for your age and longevity, it doesn't really support your stance, as new and current users want to be able to change or correct the info they have typed.
lets say someone is upset at another member and just voices out their anger but a day later they come to the conclusion that its best not to voice that out. well 35 mins is not enough. with the new age users, many are not that calm like the old folks were. the old way of thinking might not work here. I know that old people had to deal with the one time and no correction was the way of doing things but not today. I heard that typewriters was a good example. they didn't allow fixing of text, at least not until much later in the 80's. so what you typed on paper was it or redo the whole paper.

another example is, someone wants to put in a link after some time has passed or they want to edit the post because of improper English. I know I have gone back a day or two later to see that my writing skills is not so clear the first time. that fix might make the post less confusing if that's what your after.:nerd:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Old and young alike would get frustrated having to re-read posts looking for changes made. Threads are a conversation one can follow in sequence. Just add a post with the new link or corrected text. Same effort but easier to follow.

Again I think.

·
Administrator
134 Posts
Hello,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. Users on the forum are able to edit their post up to 35 minutes after it has been posted. After that the post is locked and can only be edited by a Moderator or an Admin.

The VB search is built into the forum so we do not have much control over it and how it works. I think we can change the minimum characters to be searched from 4 to 3 but we have encountered issues by doing that.

~ DM

·
Administrator
134 Posts
As mentioned above, the conversations should flow, we would have no control over what would be edited. This could result in a choppy conversation or users can take back something they said and replace it with something else, thus making the next post/reply not make sense.

-Marie, Community Support

·
Registered
94 Posts
As mentioned above, the conversations should flow, we would have no control over what would be edited. This could result in a choppy conversation or users can take back something they said and replace it with something else, thus making the next post/reply not make sense.

-Marie, Community Support
I'm in the "let us edit our post whenever we want" group. Every other site I've been to allows users to do that, and the likelihood of someone editing a comment so much that the "next post not make sense" is a far stretch. No other forums seem to have the problems you are so worried about while still giving users the ability to edit posts. If anything, I've seen OPs edit their original post to include all the information discussed in a thread making it easier for other users to be informed without having to read pages of information. You really just don't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm in the "let us edit our post whenever we want" group. ...snip... You really just don't make any sense to me.
Another poster in your camp says he might like to change an angry post to a not-angry post, that's a major change. But the nub of the issue is that you are asking all others to always re-read your posts in case you changed something. You want to make it easy for you and a burden to all others. That's tedious. Instead you can simply do a "quote reply" of your flawed post and add in your current thoughts. Everyone sees what you added or changed with no extra effort on their part. The conversation flows naturally like you were face to face.

If I am following say, five threads, I do not wish to re-read all old posts for edits.

The debate shall continue, I know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts