Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched around and could not find any discussion on this topic. I live in an area that's prone to winter snow and ice as well as summer thunderstorms. I'm thinking about adding the splash guards to my soon to be arriving 2016 Q3, I see these are offered as a dealer accessory for $95 per set of two. Any insights on whether this enhances or detracts from the Q3, as well as how effective these are, would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Searched around and could not find any discussion on this topic. I live in an area that's prone to winter snow and ice as well as summer thunderstorms. I'm thinking about adding the splash guards to my soon to be arriving 2016 Q3, I see these are offered as a dealer accessory for $95 per set of two. Any insights on whether this enhances or detracts from the Q3, as well as how effective these are, would be appreciated.

I can say with previous experience they work pretty well, but they look pretty horrible (my opinion only) - which is why I guess they work pretty well ...

There are several pics on line that show them installed - front and rear - and they're not usually too much trouble to install.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roger. I like the part about them working well...not the part about looking horrible... In addition to the snow, ice and thunderstorms we also have a summer season with chip seal and other road work. So it's a delightful environment for a new car... Perhaps best to focus on protecting the front end and try it without the mud flaps. I'll look around for pictures.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the rears installed, and like Roger said, they work great but they don't look great. I wouldn't say horrible, since if you're looking mudflaps you kind of know what your getting into as far as that "kind of look", kind of rally car-ish. But, with that being said, I've had then on for about a week now, and I will probably be taking mine off until winter rolls around. I am on vacation right now, but I will post pictures next weekend if you're still interested, sorry I can't help out any sooner than that. Do note, that installing the front splash guards requires self tapping screws that screw into the painted plastic side skirts on the inside of the front wheel well, which is why I didn't install them. The backs use holes and screws that are already there to hold the wheel well liner to the body.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much and not to worry about the timing...my car isn't arriving until August. There are a LOT of Audis Q5s and Q7s in our area and I haven't noticed any with splash guards...

·
Registered
914 Posts
As always they will look horrible. But it all comes back to whether you want function or form, in horrible conditions I rather have the function of mud guards... imagine all that salt being kicked up on the body... i rather have it contained in the under carriage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I installed them. I feel they did not prevent as much spray as I had hoped. I like the look, or at least I don't find it as repulsive as some do. They must be saving some chipping and abuse. Just wish they eliminated all the spray.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I installed them. I feel they did not prevent as much spray as I had hoped. I like the look, or at least I don't find it as repulsive as some do. They must be saving some chipping and abuse. Just wish they eliminated all the spray.
I include a photo. Hard to get a good picture of black flap over black tire in black shadows!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you install them yourself?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes I installed them myself. Pretty easy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I include a photo. Hard to get a good picture of black flap over black tire in black shadows!

They look lovely. I wish I could the a color matched set. :nerd:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still contemplating them for my Mythos black Q3 and now that it's arriving so close to winter I'm more inclined to give them a try....I'd have to consider whether I want to do front and back Vs just back. Since my car and the flaps are black they probably wouldn't be as noticeable and it sounds like they can be removed when it's not winter if desired.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How hard to install?
The rear splash guards go on very simply, they use existing screws in the wheel well to attach. The front splash guards however are a different story. I never installed the front splash guards because you need to use self tapping screws that put holes in the side skirt and wheel well that aren't currently there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I looked at the dealer's accessory site it indicated that the splashguards would not fit a Q3 with S-Line bumpers. As mine is a Prestige I assumed that the splashguards would not work for me. Am I wrong? boblepp's photos appear to show them on a Prestige model.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I looked at the dealer's accessory site it indicated that the splashguards would not fit a Q3 with S-Line bumpers. As mine is a Prestige I assumed that the splashguards would not work for me. Am I wrong? boblepp's photos appear to show them on a Prestige model.
Their vehicle may be a prestige, but those of us with 2015 prestiges don't have the S-Line bumpers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts