Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I own the Q3 the more it's my first and last Audi.

The TMPS came on today and showed tire pressure low. But of course it didn't show what tire or what was the pressure in all tires. Considering this is close to a 40k car it's unacceptable.

My 2012 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS which I paid $19.1 OTD shows me all 4 tire pressures on the dash and lets me know which tire is low.

Told my wife she's might be better off buyer a less expensive car as it sometimes has more options. Even the 2016 Chevy Cruze has heated seats for the rear.

Yes, I know a Chevy isn't an Audi, but it pisses me off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had mine come on when I picked up a screw and it identified the offending tire. Could TPMS behavior be tied to the trim level?
I have a 2015 Prestige.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, you said it, a Chevy is not an Audi and even 10K cars have lots of gadgetry.

It is not Audi's fault, I chose to decide between meaningless gadgets or state of the art engineering. Mine doesn't even have TPMS. I chose it for the DSG, QUATTRO and 211HP.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
The Prestige at least DOES indicate which tire is the offending one - and while some brands offer supposedly discrete pressure monitoring their methods unless or until they use $100 TPMS sensors (at each wheel) are notoriously faulty. I had a Chevy rental car that indicated 72 psi when the tire was just 8 psi over the correct reading of 32 psi once. I'd rather just be happy to know which tire was off and in what direction than to think of a 40 psi error ...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Cruze at 69,000 miles have been flawless and the TMPS has been on the mark and in the USA, the TMPS isn't a meaningless gadget as it's mandatory on all cars and time will tell on the state of the art engineering.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are different types of TPMS systems, Your GM uses an actual sensor on each rim, Audi system monitors the tire circumference of each tire vs the others. The system in your Cruze has a sensor in each rim so it could check the pressure in each rim. You cant do that with your Q3 because its not the same set-up. Sensors in the rims can go bad and/or leak which can be a pain... Both work well (IMHO) so really its just personal preference. I, for one prefer the way Audi does it but then again I'm more old school and check my tire pressures once a month with a good tire gauge, just so I know what I actually have....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are different types of TPMS systems, Your GM uses an actual sensor on each rim, Audi system monitors the tire circumference of each tire vs the others. The system in your Cruze has a sensor in each rim so it could check the pressure in each rim. You cant do that with your Q3 because its not the same set-up. Sensors in the rims can go bad and/or leak which can be a pain... Both work well (IMHO) so really its just personal preference. I, for one prefer the way Audi does it but then again I'm more old school and check my tire pressures once a month with a good tire gauge, just so I know what I actually have....
Thanks for the info. This would make sense as I did a visual eye check on one tire and only added air to it. Therefore, since that tire had a higher air pressure the sensor went off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My Cruze at 69,000 miles have been flawless and the TMPS has been on the mark and in the USA, the TMPS isn't a meaningless gadget as it's mandatory on all cars and time will tell on the state of the art engineering.
Well, 105 years back that up.

To each his own. Stay happy with your chevy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yay, the Cruze has TPMS...but wait the Q3 has front/rear impact sensors, rearview cam & AWD...hmmmm which to choose.

As for the price tag of 40K, it's ~5K more than the average price car in America. More than enough to cover the Q3's sensors, cams & powertrain.
I guess I'll do the old fashion way, check my tires every day visually & more carefully if the Q3 TPMS signals something but I can't live without all the other safety features.

**ps- funny of all the complaints about the Q3 - i.e. memory seats, Homelink, MMI scroll wheel - [email protected] TPMS.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just FYI but I have to put this out there...
TPMS is not / was not intended to be an easy way to check the tire pressures, it was intended to give the driver a heads up on a tire failure and to give you a better chance of having the tire fixed or replaced before it fails and causes an accident or worse... As I stated earlier there are different types of TPMS systems each of which can be viewed as having pros and cons... Just had to say it...:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
My tpms light came on a few days ago. I had it inflated at an oil change place and told them they are 44 and 46, but the light didn't go off. Went to a tire shop and they said the tires around 30ish. I know they inflated all 4 tires. Lights still stayed on, so I checked the tires and all are 40ish. Reset the tpms and lights went off.

Am I supposed to reset the tpms every time I inflate the tires when the light is on? This was not the case when I was driving my previous car. Tpms went off as soon as the tires are inflated to proper pressure.

I have the 2016 prestige, but mine doesn't show which tire in low on pressure. Do I need to set it in the mmi?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes. Once you top you tires off to the pressure of your liking, you need to reset the system within the MMI so it's recalibrated to what the new base value is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I topped it off at the psi as I set my tpms. I'm still supposed to reset it?

Does the 3016 Q3 Prestige indicate individual tire? Mine doesn't unless I'm missing something.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Wow - 3016 Q3 ? WHERE have I been? I know I'm old, but I thought that was really just for wine and violins. Must've been that nap - just change my name to Rip...
Meanwhile I am CERTAIN that the 3016 Q3 does NOT show tire pressures as there aren't any - just aeropneumatic thermothrofles.

oh, and btw, the 2016s did show individual tires' relative (but NOT absolute) pressures - but heck, they didn't have thermothrofles yet ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts