Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is repetitive but I haven't seen any answers. Can someone tell me why when I put the heat on the air button is on? I get heat from the car I'm just wondering how the car knows the difference between 72 degrees of heat and 72 degrees of AC. :)

What EXACTLY is the proper way to work the heat and a/c??

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Thanks Otto -

Short answer is that when you turn on the heat, USUALLY (depending on outside and inside temperatures and calculated dew point) the A/C will ALSO come on - this is to ensure defogginig takes place instead of fogging ...

Warm but moist air may likely at least fog your windshield and could EVEN frost it on the inside if it's cold enough ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does that mean when it's warm outside and I set the ac to 72 degrees I'll get ac? It just seems weird because on my BMW if you wanted ac you pressed the AC button or if the button wasn't pressed you'd get heat. Pretty simple. On the Q3 a bit confusing....
anne

·
Registered
134 Posts
My '06 A4 has two settings, AUTO and ECONOMY. Auto, you set the temperature and it does its thing depending on the time of year. Economy I think blows just air, without turning on the a/c compressor to cut fuel consumption.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on the heat John. Guess I'll just have to wait until we THAW out here in New England maybe in June? to use the AC then I'll figure it out...In the meantime I don't have an problems setting the heat. Just weird configuration...
Anne

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's been hovering around -15 C to -18 C and down to -30 C with the wind chill lately here in Toronto and my Q3 heats up to full operating temperature within about 3 minute idle and 5 minute light driving (8 min total) and then stays there. I have no complaints and would not be worried if the temp dropped to -25 C. I would be pretty confident that it would retain normal OT while being driven normally.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's been hovering around -15 C to -18 C and down to -30 C with the wind chill lately here in Toronto and my Q3 heats up to full operating temperature within about 3 minute idle and 5 minute light driving (8 min total) and then stays there. I have no complaints and would not be worried if the temp dropped to -25 C. I would be pretty confident that it would retain normal OT while being driven normally.
Thanks a lot for chiming in, I know you guys in Toronto have had it really bad for some time, while it sucks, it's a great test to see how your Q3 does in really cold conditions. With that said, how well did your Q3 hold heat with how cold it was where you live?

I know some cars aren't that great with holding heat.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
So does that mean when it's warm outside and I set the ac to 72 degrees I'll get ac? It just seems weird because on my BMW if you wanted ac you pressed the AC button or if the button wasn't pressed you'd get heat. Pretty simple. On the Q3 a bit confusing....
anne
If you have it set to Auto, yes it will do that. But don't confuse temperature setting with heat or A/C cuz UNLESS the system is set to Auto, it won't pick either for you. Re-read my last post for why the A/C comes on when you ask for heat. Newer BMWs do the same...

·
Registered
53 Posts
As long as you set it to AUTO, think of it as both systems being available to get you the desired temperature.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For those of you who may not be aware, there is a neat app called MyAudiIQ. It provides model specific videos for various aspects of vehicle operation including one for Automatic Climate Control. They are well thought out and easy to understand.

I've watched the Advanced Key several times. Hopefully after my Q3 comes in, it won't be too many weeks that I climb into the cockpit with my right hand looking for the keyhole on the steering column and my left foot looking for the clutch!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks a lot for chiming in, I know you guys in Toronto have had it really bad for some time, while it sucks, it's a great test to see how your Q3 does in really cold conditions. With that said, how well did your Q3 hold heat with how cold it was where you live?

I know some cars aren't that great with holding heat.
Holds heat fine. In fact, it gets a little too hot in the cabin when relying on the Auto Climate control. No worries here. Engine temp guage stays planted smack in the middle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed it gets pretty hot in the cabin using my AUTO too. Almost have to crank it down to 60's and totally shut off the heated seats. Even when I turn it down and shut a few of the vents I still feel like there's heat coming from SOMEWHERE!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm not using auto for the reason there's really no reason for the AC compressor to always be on when the heat is on. If anything, that's going to wear down the compressor.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does having the ac on have anything to do with keeping the windows from fogging up though or did I misinterpret when I read about the ac and the recirculating air?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You can still use the Auto(matic) setting with AC off. Just press the AC button after you engage Auto and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I'm not using auto for the reason there's really no reason for the AC compressor to always be on when the heat is on. If anything, that's going to wear down the compressor.
The compressor is on an electromechanical clutch, so it's never on all the time, even in the Summer. It's used with the heat to dehumidify the air so it won't fog the windows at low dew point moisture content air. Every manufacturer today does the same thing to provide optimum conditioned (and clean pollen-free) air. But if you choose as Nick noted, you can simply turn off the A/C loop after starting it in Auto.

·
Registered
914 Posts
one thing to note about pollen, i think there's some brand out there that has filters which better filter out pollen and other particles, something some folks here might be interested in.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The compressor is on an electromechanical clutch, so it's never on all the time, even in the Summer. It's used with the heat to dehumidify the air so it won't fog the windows at low dew point moisture content air. Every manufacturer today does the same thing to provide optimum conditioned (and clean pollen-free) air. But if you choose as Nick noted, you can simply turn off the A/C loop after starting it in Auto.
Guess I'm thinking of cars from years past.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts