Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2021 Q3 and am having trouble finding anyone that makes a trailer hitch for '21 yet. I assume previous year Q3's are different. CURT does not have one. Has anyone seen any?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How is your search going. I too have a 2021 Q3 and I’m interested in having a hitch installed. When I first bought it in December 2020, there didn’t seem to be many options. U-Haul didn’t carry them, and the dealer wants $760 for the 1.5” Audi hitch plus another $500 for install (although it does seem to rate 10 out of 10 for difficulty). I’m trying to find the towing capacity. The manual has a very cryptic table that appears low compared to other, earlier Q3s. It says trailer load with brakes up to 12% incline is only 1,500 lbs? Earlier models appear to be at least 2,200 lbs. But then the same table says permitted trailer weight of 6,022 lbs? My wife has a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek with a smaller engine, less HP and torque and it can tow 1,500 lbs. so I don’t see why Audi is so low. An internet search has numbers all over the place, but some are international sites and I’m not sure if models are different. If I can tow a decent amount I’ll pay the $1200, but I’m not interested if it’s just going to be a fancy bike rack. If anyone can enlighten me on the towing capacity of the Q3 I’d be obliged? Is it a mistranslation & should read “unbraked” trailer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is your search going. I too have a 2021 Q3 and I’m interested in having a hitch installed. When I first bought it in December 2020, there didn’t seem to be many options. U-Haul didn’t carry them, and the dealer wants $760 for the 1.5” Audi hitch plus another $500 for install (although it does seem to rate 10 out of 10 for difficulty). I’m trying to find the towing capacity. The manual has a very cryptic table that appears low compared to other, earlier Q3s. It says trailer load with brakes up to 12% incline is only 1,500 lbs? Earlier models appear to be at least 2,200 lbs. But then the same table says permitted trailer weight of 6,022 lbs? My wife has a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek with a smaller engine, less HP and torque and it can tow 1,500 lbs. so I don’t see why Audi is so low. An internet search has numbers all over the place, but some are international sites and I’m not sure if models are different. If I can tow a decent amount I’ll pay the $1200, but I’m not interested if it’s just going to be a fancy bike rack. If anyone can enlighten me on the towing capacity of the Q3 I’d be obliged? Is it a mistranslation & should read “unbraked” trailer? View attachment 6071
I ended up getting this hitch. It's a little more $ if you want it towing capacity ready, which is basically just adding the trailer lights. I just bought the hitch since I'm mostly using it for a bike rack only. I had a mobile mechanic, former body shop guy, install it since I was worried about the sensors in the bumper and he was able to get it all done quite easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I saw that hitch, and I see Draw-Tite has a hitch for the 2021 Q3 as well. The killer on the Audi hitch is it's only a 1.25" receiver from what the service/parts guy told me, and they want upwards of $700 to install. They'll install any other aftermarket hitch for me, but the installation will be the same. He confirmed that towing capacity is only 1,500 lbs (very odd as my wife's Crosstrek can tow 1,500 # and it has 100 less HP) so I'm basically thinking bike rack only. I checked U-Haul's site as I know they install hitches, but I was nervous about letting them touch my Audi. Their website recommends the Draw-Tite, which is 1/3 cost of Audi hitch, but not sure about installation costs. Instructions say it only takes 40 minutes to install? Do you know how long your install took? Audi forums appear to indicate it takes a long, complicated process, which might justify the $750 install price, but 40 minutes certainly doesn't!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at lot at hitches and this one from Stealth, via etrailer, was the best. Most dealers I called would not install an aftermarket hitch or would charge $1000 to reboot the sensors. Their hitch is ridiculously expensive anyway. I would look for a good auto body place to do the install. My guy installed it something like 2.5-3 hours. You have to remove the fender flares and the rear bumper. Here's a video of an install on a 2017, which is not identical, but similar to a 2019-21.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I looked at lot at hitches and this one from Stealth, via etrailer, was the best. Most dealers I called would not install an aftermarket hitch or would charge $1000 to reboot the sensors. Their hitch is ridiculously expensive anyway. I would look for a good auto body place to do the install. My guy installed it something like 2.5-3 hours. You have to remove the fender flares and the rear bumper. Here's a video of an install on a 2017, which is not identical, but similar to a 2019-21.
Yeah that's what's weird. Based on what I've seen, the install on the Audi Q3 takes hours, and that's reflected in the install price of $700 plus. The Draw-Tite instructions show them installing on a Q3, and the U-Haul website, which quoted a Draw-Tite hitch by Horizon Global, doesn't indicate the need to remove bumpers or anything. It says 40 minutes to install. U-Haul is quoting an installation price of $150, which would never cover a complicated install. U-Haul's quote, complete with hitch, install, ball mount, hitch ball, retaining pin and wiring is under $500 total. So there's a real disconnect somewhere on how complicated this is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I'm seeing where the cost difference might be. The Draw-Tite from U-Haul hangs below the bumper, and is always visible. You do have to do a cutout in bumper panel, but it's not "concealed". The Stealth one appears to be up higher to tuck it out of sight, and maybe that requires removal of the bumper?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts