Audi Q3 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The J519 is your Central Electronics module - which is what's coded when you do this. BUT, as I said, it needs the wiring to be correct also, or strange effects can occur. Segregated Brake and Turn lamps are wired differently than NARs, therefore without the wiring changes, the J519 is sending signals to the wrong places ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The J519 is your Central Electronics module - which is what's coded when you do this. BUT, as I said, it needs the wiring to be correct also, or strange effects can occur. Segregated Brake and Turn lamps are wired differently than NARs, therefore without the wiring changes, the J519 is sending signals to the wrong places ...
Gotcha! That's why!! Thanks for the explanation! I guess I have to stick with the current tail light style.... :(

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
... or you can buy eCodes (RoW or EU rear lamps) that are split but wired differently (really an easy swap of a few pins each side - BUT the plugs are different too - but also NOT a big deal to change - and THEN code this segregation. I have made this mod on my car as I like amber turn signals (as in the RoW/ EU cars).

You can find these lamps on ebay for about $400 from used or wrecked cars -

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love that amber turning signal! Unfortunately I can't do any phisical mod unless I'm gonna buyout this car. It's a leased car from Audi.... maybe after I buyout at the end of terms I'd start carrying out all the DIYs :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm finding this whole thread hard to parse...

On our US 2017 premium we have the LED rear lights that look different from what I see pictured on any of these threads. They look more like the latest style I've seen on youtube videos with european license plates, except they are all red instead of red and amber. They have a thin perimeter line that acts as the tail lights whenever the parking/head lights are on. They have a thin equatorial line and thicker wedge sections above and below which currently all light together for brake, turn, or hazard lights. They do not show the dynamic sweeping animation.

Can the VCDS recoding segregate these to have separate turn and brake lights, or are you saying the circuits need to change? I understand the dynamic light requires some other control module so I'm just wondering what is possible with the current light fixture sold with my car...

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The short answer is yes. If you just want them segregated, you can just make the coding change. But you will loose your brake-signal combo if you do this. If you want RoW lamps, you'll also need to change the plugs and a few wire pins on those plugs will need to be swapped/relocated AND the coding done...Dynamics require both the correct lamps (they ARE different) AND either a new J519 or separate modules to drive the dynamic LEDs and additional wiring ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
...But you will loose your brake-signal combo if you do this.
Do you mean something different than being segregated? I was expecting it would have one section that blinks for turns and a different section that lights for braking, with no interference between the two.

But, it sounds like there are enough fun VCDS things to do that I should try to getting my hands dirty. I think I had an old Ross-Tech cable in storage about 400 miles from here. The boring, principled voice inside me says I should at least check it out first before ordering something new... I'm not sure if it supports the latest cars and software.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No, segregated IS correct - you got it - a few others have not realized what this means - that's all.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts