Audi Q3 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
If lugging the wheels around is an issue, here in Ottawa there are a number of garages that will store your tires for a nominal fee. That way when you need to switch they have the tires and you' re more than likely to use them to switch them. This service appeals to a lot of people who just don't have the room to store the tires or the desire to change them.

Maybe there is something like this in your area.

Bob

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the info Bob. Roughly how much is the "nominal fee" up there? I have never heard of this being offered here in the PNW and it seems like it would take up so much space and require enough logistical effort that it would be prohibitively expensive. Given the number of new storage unit businesses I see sprouting up around Central Oregon and the number of small houses being crammed into new high density developments, my guess is that most people are paying for a storage locker and are putting their two sets of tires there along with whatever other "toys" they can't fit in their house or garage. Thankfully we have the space for the extra two sets of tires in our garage so if a tire shop offered this it would need to be fairly in expensive to make it a desirable option. I have not seen this noted on any tire website in the area but will check around again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are a couple of places in Ottawa.
First is an actual car dealership, FREE if you buy the tires from them.
http://www.ottawachryslerjeep.com/free-tire-storage-lowest-tire-price-guarantee.htm
Here is a mobile operation, they come to you, change your tires and store your uninstalled set off site, $99 for change and storage for 1 car.
http://www.mobiletirechange.com/#!services/c66t
Here's another $40 per season.

If you do a web search for your city state and tire storage, you'll get a number of hits.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks like you have some better options in Canada. Based on a search I found one storage business here that appears to cater to tire storage and they want $2.50 per tire per month. So that's $120 a year for storage alone as it doesn't include delivering them to a tire shop. At $120 that would offset the annual savings tied to free installation when you have your winter tires on separate wheels. I don't need storage as I have room to store them...what I don't want to do is to have to lug around heavy tires on wheels...can do it now...but what about in 5 years or 10 years when I'm almost 73? I found a link to a place that offered PU and delivery of tires + storage but it appears to have gone out of business. So I think this option is a no go for us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
-How does fixed setup work with wheel vs. controllers? These have different default setups (loose vs. stable) on the PC and soon on the consoles as well. Will only one be used for both controller types in these events? If so, which one?

- Is it normal that the in-car management works in these events? I consider this questionable, since we can adjust brake balance, anti-roll bars and tire compounds from here (and we can certainly pit for new tires), at least partly beating the purpose of a fixed setup event.

- As for specifically the event at SUGO with the GT-R R34, how the **** did people post times in this rainy event, beating ones from sunny Time Trials? Does the rain stop if we wait for long enough or something?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put Michelin X-Ice XI3, size 235/55R17, mounted on MSW Type-14 7.5 x 17 alloy wheels, on my 2015 Q3. My other favorite winter tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in Winnipeg, very cold and lots of snow, I have the Michelin X-Ice XI3 winter tires fitted, and not very impressed.
When I had a Mitsubishi Outlander, I had Cooper all season tires, and I had better control with them than the Michelin X-Ice XI3, OR it could be that the Audi ABS is not as good as Mitsubishi?
Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
which tires will you suggest for a towing a truck, there is a company of 24-hour towing queens NY, They are looking for truck tires for their towing trucks, I have to provide them so need some guidance about towing truck tires, if there is an expert here kindly suggest any good tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No argument on the cost factors involved or the other factors you noted - I've had winter wheels and tires for my Mini for about 8 years now - even changed them out myself for about 6 of those years...until I started having back issues during the changeover process.

While I like having winter tires on winter wheels, it appears that the weight of the stock 19" wheels and tires will be over 50LBS and lugging them back and forth to the tire shop in the back of the Q3 isn't particularly appealing and puts some risk on my back with the lifting in and out of the car. I have had no issues with transporting the 16" and 17" tires/wheels on my Mini to the dealer, but they are smaller and lighter than the stock combo summer AS tires on the Q3. While I can always get the smaller winter wheels, I will still have to deal with the larger and heavier summer wheels/tires. I will probably discuss this with the local American Tire shop and see what they say.
If you have winters on a set of their own rims can’t you change them yourself? no real need to lug them to the tyre shop twice a year.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts