Audi Q3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yahoo! has published a "real world" review of the 2016 Audi Q3. I suppose that is opposed to a "fantasy world" review. Anyway, let me lay out the major points here for you guys.

The 2016 Audi Q3 costs between $33,700 and $42,175. It will compete with vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz GLA Clasee, Lexus NX, BMW X1 and Acura RDX. Cheaper alternatives include the Volkswagen Tiguan, Mazda CX-3, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and Chevrolet Trax.

In short, the pros are are written as a "luxury car feel and appearance for a relatively normal budget." The cons are the the "engine feels a bit weedy and lacks character."

Now we get to the main part of the review. It answers, "Would I buy it with my own money?"

The Q3 is given a unethusiastic yes from the reviewer. He writes:

Maybe, and I’d certainly take it above any of the alternative options listed above, even though said options would save me money. The Q3 drives well and remains plenty practical, but I wouldn’t call it particularly engaging.
The interior is given good marks. There is a great interface and plenty of leather. You don't feel "shortchanged."

The reviewer isn't quite as enthusiastic about the engine though. The 2.0-liter turbocharged four cylinder with 200 horsepower and 207 lb-ft of torque is described as "not quick," but capable of handling everyday bursts of speed.

Steering is nicely weighted thanks to the electric steering, though sport mode may make it too heavy.

In many ways it feels like driving a more polished version VW's Tiguan, which isn’t meant as a negative — perhaps it speaks more to the competency of the Q3’s impecunious brother?
Overall the Q3 gets good but not great comments:

In all, I like the Q3. It boasts plenty of luggage space and rear legroom is sufficient for its relatively diminutive frame. Sure, the engine lacks character, but for the price of a loaded Chrysler 200, I’m willing to forgive.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
aww shucks, he just needed a SprintBooster ...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I read this review. I think it is about right. If the Q3 had the 220/258 engine like the MQB products it would make a big difference in engine character. The 207 lb ft do take a bit of rpm to get moving. But the overall comment about being so nice and being priced right is spot on. That's why we have 2!!

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I read this review. I think it is about right. If the Q3 had the 220/258 engine like the MQB products it would make a big difference in engine character. The 207 lb ft do take a bit of rpm to get moving. But the overall comment about being so nice and being priced right is spot on. That's why we have 2!!
Aw shucks, at least one of you needs a SprintBooster too - it REALLY affects throttle tip-in much more than Dynamic mode and does NOT affect warranty - check out the threads - and at about a 10 minute install - is about as easy peasy as anything ...

·
Registered
247 Posts
the SprintBooster is definitely on my list and once I've had the chance to try out the Q3 for a while I will make my decision. At this point in life most of my driving is around town and I live in a relatively small town. We have a "Parkway" that is used but no freeway driving unless taking a trip a few times a year. Roger - where does the SprintBooster do it's best work? Is that when starting up from a dead stop? Any help at all in highway passing (I assume no since it's purpose is to get you up the power curve faster and one you are at speed it's not helping)? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
John - actually ANY time (except at WOT) you apply throttle, the SprintBooster will give you improved response. but it cannot increase the WOT since all the start and end at the same point, and the closer to WOT you get the closer ALL the curves are to each other. So what ever throttle position you're at (unless close to WOT), a bit more throttle gives more response. That being said I think most folks will notice it much more around town from slower speeds where the increased response delivers more noticeable thrust. BUT even at our highway steady state speeds, the same initial response (and thrust) is still quite apparent at 60-70 mph, because there's still about 30-40% left on the throttle map. But as you get closer to WOT the curves must converge and the difference become less and less apparent -

See this for a rough illustration of the differences :

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks Roger - that's very helpful. And as a finance guy I love the graphics. Reminds me of some YTD plan Vs actual Vs last year graphs from work.... But frankly I'd much rather think about the Q3 driving dynamics! I'm very intrigued by this mod and now that I have my local repair shop willing to do it....well it just might be on my xmas list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts