Audi Q3 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Our second car is a 2 seater so we definitely one big car. We will probably try hard to negotiate on the Q5 or end up buying the Q3 :)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
You DO have to remove the bottom cover to get to the drain plug - but they don't use the drain plug these days - they suck it out thru the dipstick. It's cleaner and easier.

Btw, the government has been mandating issues that lead to extended oil drain intervals (to control emissions) for at least 10 years as a part of CAFE extensions... Here's a bit more info if interested -
http://www.noln.net/article/december-2013/extended-drain-intervals-versus-real-world-again

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks Roger, I will check out the article.

Humm, I've seen those draining devices. ECS has one that seems pretty reasonable. They do make things easier and between the cars, generator and equipment to maintain the property it sure would come in handy. BTW, an Audi dealer in the area has a super special on oil/filter changes $65.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Q3's cargo area isn't as miniscule as you'd expect. It's not likely big enough to be a primary car for a small family, but it has plenty of room for grocery runs or a few pieces of luggage. There's 16.7 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row, with a maximum 48.2 cubic feet with the 60/40-split folding backseat down. The larger Q5 has practically double that much cargo volume behind its rear seat, with 29.1 cubic feet behind the seats and a maximum 57.3 cubic feet. The Q3 is also outdone in cargo space by the X1 and Acura RDX, but is similar to the GLA-Class in cargo room.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me, cargo space SUCKS. I have to fold the back seat to put my golf clubs in. Nevermind if I go golfing with 2 more friends, it is a challenge to fit all in.

Previously I had a Mazda CX-7, excellent cargo space. 3 sets of clubs in the trunk without folding the seats. Talk about space...

·
Registered
914 Posts
For me, cargo space SUCKS. I have to fold the back seat to put my golf clubs in. Nevermind if I go golfing with 2 more friends, it is a challenge to fit all in.

Previously I had a Mazda CX-7, excellent cargo space. 3 sets of clubs in the trunk without folding the seats. Talk about space...
Seems like you were made for a Q5!

It makes for a great excuse to treat yourself to a nice rental for one of your golfing outings ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seems like you were made for a Q5!

It makes for a great excuse to treat yourself to a nice rental for one of your golfing outings ;)
I like the Q3 interiors way better. Also the S-tronic above the tiptronic. Gas mileage is better in the Q3.

The truth is, I love my Q3 except for the cargo space >:D

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Unfortunately, WE in the US (& Canada) don't get the S-tronic, we're stuck with the tip ...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tomorrow my wife and I embark on our second 600+ mile trip in the last two weeks in our new Q3, but it's going to be interrupted early on as we swap into a Q5 for over 500 of those miles.

We really like the Q3 day-to-day, and it has made us much better at limiting the stuff we take with us on trips, but it lacks adequate space from my golf clubs and folding Clickgear golf cart unless I drop down a rear seat. So, just in case I might want to have a Q5 in the garage next to my wife's Q3, we are borrowing a Q5 from the dealer for a lengthy two two-day test drive.

From what I understand, the Q5 is a bit more lumbering than the Q3 and seems underpowered with the 2.0 engine, but I want to find out for myself....

Can anyone on this forum offer some insight into the Q3 vs. the Q5 in overall terms?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I think you'll find the Q5 a bit roomier, perhaps translating into comfort depending on your contents and passengers, but at the same time your comment "lumbering" at least to me, is how I feel in the car especially with the 2.0. I just like smaller vehicles and the Q3 is the right size for my taste in an SUV or crossover... I might be tempted with a TTQ, but would have to drive one for sure. My conclusion from my first drive of the Q3 in 2011 confirmed my feelings then and they are the same today.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think you'll find the Q5 a bit roomier, perhaps translating into comfort depending on your contents and passengers, but at the same time your comment "lumbering" at least to me, is how I feel in the car especially with the 2.0. I just like smaller vehicles and the Q3 is the right size for my taste in an SUV or crossover... I might be tempted with a TTQ, but would have to drive one for sure. My conclusion from my first drive of the Q3 in 2011 confirmed my feelings then and they are the same today.
My first drive in the Q3 convinced me to get two of them!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can anyone on this forum offer some insight into the Q3 vs. the Q5 in overall terms?
My brother decided to buy the Q5 instead of the Q3.

My take:

A bit roomier regarding inside space and cargo
Looks a bit more "sober" than "sportier" vs the Q3
Acceleration and speed is almost the same (we've raced them a bit >:D )
The tranny is a lot better in the Q3 :D (I have DSG)
Q5 doesnt have bluetooth here, so he bought an aftermarket adapter

All in all, I like my Q3 better even though I hate cargo space...

·
Registered
302 Posts
PuroMexicano, you are correct, the Q5 is much more "sober" in all respects....and there is just nothing "unique" about the car.

My wife and I drove our loaned Q5 for almost 600 miles over two days and found it to be a very nice road car with plenty of low-end power and good acceleration during mountain climbs using the "manual" shifter to find one of the appropriate eight gears vs. six in the Q3. Also, perhaps because of the gearing, the mileage in the Q5 was as good or better than the Q3 and, of course there was just plain more room for the occupants and all our camping gear in the back.

But.....when we got home and jumped into our old Lexus we were considering trading-in, we realized the Lexus was just the better car to drive, the Lexus ergonomics were better, and there was more room for everyone and everything. And for sure the Q3 is a much more fun experience.....not in spite of its smaller size, but because of it....and it may seem strange, but the positioning and operation of all the buttons and dials needed to operate the MMI is downright dangerously distracting on the Q5 vs. the Q3.

What makes the Q3 distinctive for us, compared to the Q5, is the sportiness, the uniqueness, and the favorable comments we receive from others on how much they enjoy the appearance of the Q3.

The Q5 we drove cost about US $10K more than our Q3.....we (and y'all) got an excellent deal!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am considering buying a Q3 or a Q5 & wanted to ask all the Q3 owners if they feel that the Q3 is roomy enough especially when it comes to the trunk size? How many standard 50 lb (check in) bags can you fit in? What about strollers etc? Did you ever feel like you should have bought a larger SUV? Thanks!
I know I’m responding to an old post but all I’ve got to say is the Q3 trunk is T I N Y . I had an A3 that could fit more in the trunk then this guy! Super super annoying. I have a 1.5YO and putting stroller in and getting **** thing to close is like playing Tetrus (sp?)….. considering selling which is a shame as I purchased less then a year ago all cash grrrr

21 - 34 of 34 Posts